Monday, September 28, 2009

O Canada

{Vancouver in High Definition - From Kalamakia's Flickr photostream}

{Robson Street - From Wizard_of_Wonders' Flickr photostream}

I'm here in Vancouver, and this city is blowing my mind. I was surprised to find this is by far the most international city I have encountered. We're staying in the heart of downtown, so that may account for some of the multinational spirit, but everything is multiple languages and each person looks completely individual (race, manner of dress, personal expression via tattoos, piercings, dyed hair). I bought some Ritz cheese crackers at the nearest drug store, London Drug, and the flavor was "Vrai Cheddar" (French for "Real Cheddar"). Most of the store's snack food packaging was in French.

Vancouver embodies everything I love about the Northwest, with its subversive energy, art, music, color, gorgeous topography married with a real urban feeling... the list goes on. I'm in love.

I landed at 1 p.m. local time yesterday and wandered downtown amid the iconoclasts, bohemians and businesspeople. I ran across an Indian culture festival and a war protest. The Olympics will be here in February, and those five rings already adorn buildings and signs. On Robson Street, I ate a late lunch of sushi, then enjoyed a Boba tea with pearls while poking around in boutiques ranging from the quirky to the ultra-chic.

We drove from the airport through an island neighborhood called Granville Island. I hear that's a fun, funky place, but I doubt we'll have a chance to visit. I want to come back with Brad to explore for a week!

3 comments:

Julianna said...

Wow, I am so jealous of your job right now! Sounds like a fantastic trip. I really want to go to Vancouver, mostly because of what I'd heard about it already, but also because of this blog post. Someday, I will go. Until then, have fun!

Anonymous said...

Would love to have the opportunity to visit Vancouver, or anywhere in Canada - sounds like a lovely country! can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

Anna said...

Beautiful!

BTW-
Regarding the sweet rolls, of course you may post & link, Katie! I love that you made some tweaks too.

I can't wait to see what you did and try them out myself. Mmmmm....lemon zest!