Monday, January 04, 2010

Persepolis


There’s something so romantic and mysterious about the Middle East, isn’t there? Perhaps that’s a naïve statement. With all of the ongoing conflicts – destined to persist for centuries more – I suppose it’s really the idea of the Middle East that’s romantic. The spices, minarets, calls to prayer, the burkas, caftans and hijabs that are at once so demure and alluring.

Jordan has been on my list for years. I dream of seeing Petra, the Rose-Red City, recently named one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. Several of Brad’s customers live in Jordan, and two of them have invited us to visit and stay at their homes. I’d love to take them up on the offers; if not this year, next.

Yesterday, I finally saw Persepolis, a gorgeously animated feature (c. 2007) following a young Iranian girl’s evolution – and that of her country – from the late 1970s through the early 1990s. Hilarious, tragic, thought provoking, and a true feast for the eyes. Not to mention it was in French. Swoon, indeed.

The movie is based on Marjane Satrapi’s autobiographical graphic novel. I learned a lot about the Iran-Iraq War from the movie. It's also worth mentioning that the film taught me icing my breasts for 10 minutes a day will keep them round well into my old age.

A few images are below.







1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I'm totally trying the iced-breast trick. Oh and the jasmine in your bra. A girls needs all the stay-sexy-secrets she can get!